Etna Summit Craters Excursion is the most fascinating experience for those who discover an active volcano for the first time. Getting to the highest point in Sicily and being able to feel the beating heart of the earth will be one of the experiences you will never forget.
Etna is a particular volcano, which presents very varied and frequent types of eruptive activities; periods of quiet alternate with intracraterial activities, lateral eruptions, terminal strombolian activity, paroxysms and whoever has more. This great variety means that the activities that we can carry out on the volcano may vary, be subject to limitations or offer special shows. The trekking on the summit area in particular is concerned, this is subject to regulations that provide for more or less limitations.
For the year 2020 we could see the introduction of a new regulation with different alert levels, already used, but with different methods and limitations. The levels are base, attention, pre-alarm and alarm.
Description of the excursion:
We will meet at 9:00 a.m. apx. We take the cable car up to 2500m, then we take a special bus up to 2900m where we are going to start our trekking. It takes 1h 30m to reach the top. Up there we will admire the majesty of the Bocca Nuova crater and the Voragine crater. The ascent will have few stops so that we can have a pause and have some interactions talking about mount Etna and volcanoes in general.
After the visit at the top craters we descent at 2900m where we will be crossing the 2002-2003 eruption craters. We will understand how lateral activities work and how that particular eruption affected anthropological activities on mount Etna.
The trekking continues back to the cable car at 2500m, crossing the lava flow of that eruption and passing by the 2001 eruption crater.
Starting from Rifugio Sapienza (1900m)
Departure: 9:00 – 9:30 a.m.
Duration: 6-7 hours approximately.
Recommended equipment: trekking shoes, appropriate clothing according to the weather conditions (jacket, wind-breaker, hat, etc… if you have any doubt just ask us). Take with you water and something to eat.
Price: (depending on the alert level)
- BASE: € 35 per person, with a maximum limit of people per guide at 20.
- ATTENTION: € 40 per person, with a maximum limit of 10 people per guide.
- PRE-ALARM: Feasibility of the excursion depending on the conditions. Price to be agreed with the guide. Maximum number of people per guide at 5. The guide will also evaluate the feasibility based on the conditions of the hikers.
- ALARM: absolute prohibition to hike to the top.
+ ( 50euro Cable Car a/r + 4×4 one way)
- The feasibility and the path of the excursion is influenced by weather and volcanic factors, and is at the complete discretion of the GUIDE.
- Prohibited for asthmatics and those suffering from cardio-circulatory problems.
- Further problems that could compromise a peaceful excursion must be communicated in advance to the guide.